Sunday, May 01, 2011

A Baking Kind of Day


It feels more like Autumn then Spring right now, so I baked.  I have to say there are some awesome recipes out there in blogland.  This morning I made Nutella Banana Muffins  (add 1/8 C of flour for high altitude and cook a bit longer). You see from the picture below I only had one left of the dozen the recipe makes.  They were yu-UM-meee.  Also made a couple dozen cookies gotten from: Food and Whine  and she got the recipe from: this great cooking blog.  (didn't adjust for altitude on these, and they turned out fine, just had to bake a bit longer). I rounded off my baking binge with some Banana Bread made from a Martha Stewart recipe that was tweaked by my friend Colleen, then tweaked some more by me -- recipe below picture.

oh, Before I get to the banana bread recipe.  I have to include that I couldn't get any pumpkin puree at the store.  If you go to her blog, she mentions that there was a problem with the crop and pumpkin is scarce.  I didn't give it much mind, because I had a couple cans in the pantry.  I decided to make more, ran to the store and there was NONE...not fair to have a new favorite recipe and not have the ingredients at hand.  So I pureed some sweet potatoes and used that in lieu of the pumpkin, not a bad substitution.

Banana Bread

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Grease one bread loaf pan and sprinkle with raw sugar

Cream together:
1 stick of butter - room temp
1 C of sugar
2 eggs

Sift, Mix then add to above:
1 C of flour (plus 1/8 C for high altitude)
1/2 C of whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Blend with above:
2 ripe bananas
1/2 C sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla
1 C sliced almonds (this was what Colleen added to the recipe and YUM).
Sometimes I feel the need to sneak some veggies in the kids' food and so when I'm up for it, I add 1/4 a cup of pureed carrots and 1/4 a cup of pureed zucchini.  You can't taste either.

Pour into pan and top with a sprinkle of  raw sugar.

Bake 50 -60 minutes (could end up needing to go a bit longer in the higher altitudes, I tried raising the temp but didn't work as well for me as just baking a bit longer).


3 comments:

Jessie Saxton said...

My favorite way to spend a cool day:) Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it. I have been looking for a banana bread recipe with ww flour!

Unknown said...

That banana bread recipe sounds awesome. I'm so glad you liked the nutella muffins, they've quickly become a favourite in our house.

annies home said...

love banana bread and your recipe looks awesome come see what I shared http://shopannies.blogspot.com