Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Turkey-onion-apple pot pie w/ cream cheese pastry

So I made a comment on Rock Chef's blog about a random savory pie I made ages ago (but it was really good) and next thing I know I'm getting an email requesting the recipe...so because I have nothing to post --here you go...enjoy, I think I'll make it this week...maybe even post a picture? (oh and FYI, Rock Chef is having a contest, so it's worth visiting his blog to see if you can win)

Cream Cheese Pastry:
Combine
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 Cup butter, cut into chunks
1 3 oz package of cream cheese

when coarse crumbs form add
1 large egg yolk

stir until well formed, pat into flat disk about 8 inches wide and wrap and refrigerate it.

Pie:
2 onions
2 golden delicious apples
1 yam (or sweet potato)
1 tbsp of butter
1 1/2 lbs of ground turkey breast
2 tsp dried sage
1 1/2 tsp caraway seed
1 1/3 c fat-skimmed chicken broth
2/3 c dry sherry
3 tbs cornstarch
salt and pepper

1 beaten egg

Peel (and core) apple, onion and yams and slice all, thinly.
Melt butter over high heat and brown turkey
Add onions, apples, yams spices and cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
Uncover, turn heat to high, stirring often until liquid is evaporated and onions are starting to brown (5 min)
In small bowl mix broth, sherry and cornstarch, add to turkey and stir until it boils and thickens, remove from heat, add salt and pepper and let cool fro about 30 minutes...stirring occasionally. Spook mixture into shallow round 2 quart casserole dish or 10" pie pan that holds at least 6 cups

On lightly floured board roll pastry into round about 2 inches wider then the dish you are using, center pastry over filling, trip edges, overhanging 1 inch, fold overhang under pastry flush w/ rim. Flute pastry firmly against dish and slash top or cut decorative shapes into top (I use a small maple leaf cookie cutter and add the cut outs to the rim of the pie.

Set pie on a foil lined baking sheet, brush w/ egg

Bake at 375F until pastry is well browned and filling is bubbling 35-45 minutes, can cover rims w/ foil to prevent them from browning more then the rest of pie.

This recipe originally came from Sunset Magazine
Thankfully I got tagged in a MeMe by the witty writer of Say Anything So I'll have something to write about later this week. I'm in one bit of a dry spell.

7 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Thanks for that! I will take this home and give it a try very soon!

Thanks for the plug for my competition!

terri said...

This sounds absolutely delicious. You KNOW Rock Chef is going to make it too. He better post pictures.

Teresa said...

Sounds yummy!!!

Michele said...

I think I now have a dinner idea for Saturday night-- Thanks!

Sitting In Silence said...

I love Turkey...but it's not huge over here. In fact I dont even think we can get it fresh.
I know we can get it in sandwich form because I am huge on it !

Looks yummy xoxxo

Some kind of Jennifer said...

You know I can't resist a new recipe!

Dodi said...

Hey, I'd like to try that! Next time you make it, call me!

(Yes, I am THAT lazy.)