Monday, April 18, 2011

Recipe for Tres Leche Cake --yum

Tres Leche cake, is served in a ton of Cuban restaurants in Miami, but I believe it originates from one of the South American countries. Anyhow, it's my Cuban step dad's favorite, it's what my Irish brother-in-law requests and my Jewish husband and sister-in-law are always happy when I serve it (as are our melting pot children) -- it's really an international favorite.
The Cake Recipe:
1 Vanilla cake mix
3/4 C softened butter
6 eggs
1/2 cup of water
grated lime peel from one lime
Tres Leche sauce (tres leche means three milks)

can garnish with fresh fruit and whipped cream if you like.

Preheat oven to 350, combine ingredients (you know how, wet stuff and dry stuff and blend together). Bake in 2 greased and floured 8" cake pans for 45-50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan then cool completely on a wire rack.


While cake is baking make the Tres Leche Sauce:
2 cans of evaporated milk
2 cans of condensed milk
1 pint of heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp Vanilla

(I'm pretty sure this is not on ANY diet plan out there)

Combine in sauce pan, heat to the point it's about to boil and then remove from stove top. Put in a glass container and let it cool.

Once cake has cooled, prepare a baking dish, pot whatever you have that's bigger around then the cake, with plastic wrap. Place one cake and poke holes in it, pour some of the sauce on, place the other cake on top, poke holes and pour more sauce (be sure you keep some of the sauce for serving the cake) Wrap the cake up and put in the fridge.


You really should do all the steps above the night before you want to serve the cake...but Jason and I ended up childless that night so watched a really bad movie instead - had to wake up early and get this started.....But while it was getting all yummy in the fridge, I was able to go see my oldest hit two home-runs and a triple (in all fairness, he actually only hit one home run...I mean it was way beyond the out field -- the other two were from over throws and a dropped ball -- but it's little league we'll take what we can get!)


There he is, running for home! GO JAKE

Okay, back to the Tres Leche Cake...
If you put your cake in something like this, be careful with the sauce....sheesh, I was cleaning Tres Leche sauce off my counter every two minutes. I need to get something with more of a 'lip'.
Happy birthday Uncle Glenn!
Jake and cousin Bridget....they're liking it too.

3 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Wow, now that is what I call CAKE! Might have to make one for when we visit friends tomorrow night!

Won't argue technicalities over home runs - if he got the points that is all that counts!

pysanki.blogspot.com said...

That looks very yummy!

Nicole said...

that looks super yummy!!! I think I might have to try that