Saturday, August 02, 2008

And the Winner Is.....

Freaky Friday Forwards
Chief Rock Chef has the honors of coming up with that one. He's on my list of "People I don't know but stalk anyway" list below. I'd just link him here but for some reason I can't seem to get my link capabilities back. The prize is for me to pick out a book for the winner based on his/her blog. So here's the question Chief Rock Chef....shall I post a picture of your prize here and ruin your surprise or would you like to do the honors when you receive it (which will be weeks away because you're across the pond). Anyhow CRC---email me with your address (should you choose to accept the prize).
Now...I'm going to brag about my great neighborhood (Danielle...when are you going to move here!) We're a pocket of older homes (and by that I mean houses built in the 80's and 90's) we're surrounded by a lot of luxury homes built much more recently. The people who live in this pocket are salt of the earth, down to earth, middle to upper-middle income households. For a suburb we also have quite a bit of ethnic diversity and I think because of the very similar economic back grounds there really isn't a lot of strife. Here's a typical day...I was driving home after dropping off the kids and Colleen waved to me from her front porch, she was watering her plants. I waved back, and then before I was even home (9 houses away) I called her and asked, "was that a 'hi' wave or a 'come over and have coffee wave'" she laughed and said come on over. I parked and walked back and we had an impromptu coffee chat. Then yesterday afternoon we gathered at the pool (Martha emailed all saying she would be there and would we all like to join her). Ms. Martha brought snacks galore. Almost half of Jake's new 3rd grade class was there, Isaac had a few friends there too and the adults were milling around chatting with each other. I don't think anyone could have planned a party better then that. We have a neighborhood girls night out to see Mama Mia planned in the near future. These are all women who I so enjoy, they're smart, loving and I'm so blessed to have landed here. Now don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, there are a few odd balls around the place (I actually may be one of them..hahaha) but for the most part everyone gets along, the kiddos get along, we have a great pool, beautiful parks, good school and nice solid people. You can't ask for much more then that.

8 comments:

ganelle said...

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful neighborhood.

I just keep telling myself that I'll find that again. (but will I? I'm not so sure...)

Anonymous said...

Wow! You just described my neighborhood, though I think we're a few years beyond the group you describe. We built out house in this development, a former cornfield, in 1988. Our starter home. Never thought we'd be here all that long. We adored our neighbors, the kids had all the friends they could ask for, and when we once considered looking for a bigger house, the kids freaked and insisted we not move. I'm so glad we didn't. The kids are all driving now, in high school or college, but we remain so close to our wonderful neighbors. Isn't it a great feeling?

tz said...

ganelle, I almost mentioned that it was too bad you moved on in this post

terri...I keep thinking about that too...but there's a house a bigger then ours in the neighborhood and I think that's the only other move we'd make...otherwise we just may build on to this one if it feels too small...

Martha said...

And yet I remember when we first moved here, some 11 years ago, and we went to our very first party in the park with a cute little baby in tow (not even a month old) and NOBODY talked to me. I can remember just sobbing saying this is just awful, I've got no friends and I'm so alone with this baby. I think that is sort of what motivates me to always say Hi to that new person: because I've been there way too many times before.

We're pretty darn lucky...and yeah, put on your dancing shoes honey...we're going to do our best to get kicked out of the movie theatre this evening! :)Spandex jumpsuit is totally optional...

Teresa said...

Your neighborhood sounds awesome!!! I wish we could find something so perfect!! There are many parts to our neighborhood that I love...so many kids that all play together at eachother houses etc. But the adults?...nah...most of them are not that friendly. We went to an association meeting after a month of living here...only one person introduced themselves to us. One lady told me that I needed to keep my kids out of the street. And they elected a guy to be the vice president who said he did not want to be but they did it anyway. It's definately clicky and gossipy and I HATE that so much.

You are truely blessed to be where you are! I'm so glad you have that. Now, if I could only find it too....

:)

Dodi said...

It is a good place to be an adult! (The kids seem to like it too.)

I? Won't be dancing in the aisle during Mamma Mia. (My sports bra is in the washer!)

Yesterday was fun - but I'm still part of the "shallow end" moms. I have a feeling my presence will be required in the pool for the next couple of years before I can join you at the table. Trust when I tell you that all the other pool goers were jealous of your fun group!

Sitting In Silence said...

Oh that's just beautiful (sniff sniff)...

I am sssssssssooooooooo jealous....can you do me a favour and ask if anyone wants to house swap...forever !...

Sitting In Silence said...

Oh and Did I miss out on entering some kind of Competition?...

Gee wizz I love competitions...LMAO