Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Teenagers with attitude should NOT be working at Wallmart

OMG.....
So I go to Wallmart tonight to get some sterno for our new Smores making machine and some olive oil, I'm making a tortilla (Spanish Omelet, not a Mexican flour tortilla). While I was there I picked up all sorts of, "oh I need those items, I didn't know I needed", a cast iron crepe pan, a folding cutting board (how cool is that, you cut your stuff, then fold it and pour the cut up stuff in the pan, or whatever), a DVD for walking with these arm bands....this was because I went to open my new Yoga DVD only to realize Overstock sent me Grandes heroes Y Leyendas de la Biblia, instead....and I do feel sorry for the Spanish speaking family who got a Yoga DVD instead of their bible lesson but I'm feeling more sorry for myself, thus the impulse buy at Wallmart. I was even able to pass on some sale info on some really nice TV's on to Martha (trying to pay it forward for the awesome Wii deal she found me a couple months ago)....So all in all I was feeling pretty good when I got to the check stand...oh, and I was second in line....I mean, really, how often does that happen at a Wallmart....The teenage boy (Joel) starts ringing me up (um...no hello by the way), I swipe my card and I paused for a minute before pushing the 'no cash' button and it asks for my card again...I say, "oh, look at that it needs my card again", I swipe it, he says "Yeah, it's time sensitive" As I'm swiping my card again. A message flashes that I'm supposed to tell the cashier that he needs to push debit, so I tell him. (And by his attitude, I'm thinking I really wasn't supposed to tell him....but how am I supposed to know that? The machine flashed, I complied). He says, "I do that at the end of the order" so I ask, "Oh, ok, will I need to swipe my card again?"

Him: Sigh...do you want me to ring you out right now?
Me: Ah...no, I just want to know If I can put my card away.
Him: It's time sensitive (referring to the machine)
Me: So, I may have to swipe it again?
Him: Do you want me to just total you up right now? (most of my purchases still on the conveyor belt)
Me: No?
Him: Ok, then.

apparently my question was answered? Did you see the answer above? Oh and his tone of voice was one you use with really stupid people with whom you are frustrated (I know because I've used that tone before) I kept my credit card out (got to hear him sigh when it took me the whole 10 seconds it takes to put it back in the wallet and the wallet back in my purse)....

This isn't the most egregious part....
He gets to my impulse buy....the DVD with the hand thingies that are supposed to increase the workout somehow. He opens the box and looks through it, takes the video out and really looks deeply into the box and then reads the box to see what's included.....it then dawned on me HE THOUGHT I WAS STEALING SOMETHING.....

I so wish I was the kind of person who could say something in a case like this. My mouth did gape a bit (just looking at me, open mouthed, probably justified his talking way down to me). I paid for my items and walked out....seething, because I really really wish I could have asked, why me....Was it the dark hair, olive skin that just shouted thief? The Crepe pan? The frozen chicken breasts? What the hell?

It's too bad I'm a wuss....but you know, I REFUSED to return my cart to the cart station in the parking lot....that'll show them!

8 comments:

Martha said...

Walmart Woes...and the scary part is that I bet you were at the nice Wallyworld, weren't you?

Thanks for the TV tip..I'll pass it on to Senor Chang. (as funny as that sounds, he's probably more fluent in his spanish than you'd expect).

tz said...

he's more fluent then I am....i was at the nice new one in the upscale mall area....

Anonymous said...

You are such a rebel! ;)

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and that 2008 will be fantastic!

Martha said...

Yep, better watch out...next they ask you "did you find everything you were looking for", she's gonna say "Hell No, I was looking for a prada purse and a winning lottery ticket. Where might I find those items in this crappy store of yours?". She's on the edge I tell you...teetering on the edge of becomg a desperate housewife casualty! :)

tz said...

I do believe a prada purse would look spectacular with my kohl's slacks and eddie baur sweatshirt...i'm such a stylin housewife...

OHN said...

You HAD TO HAVE BEEN in our local wallymart. That same kid works here!

As the mom of 3 teenaged boys, I heartedly apologise for that kids behavior...I know, he wasn't my kid, but lets face it...most teenaged boys are dorks.(and that is using my nice terminology)

Sitting In Silence said...

Walmart....I remember this place....took me 2 hours to explain what a chemist was to the sad looking 15 year old behind the counter.....

Still having said that, they sold pretty good air sickness tablets...infact they were so good I never saw take off....or landing for that matter...
Hrmmmm wonder if Wallmart still has them LMAO...

Anonymous said...

I love this post. It certainly strikes a universal chord -- we've all been there. But, of course, I ALWAYS return my cart to the cart stall, even when I'm treated like crap, because I'm not the rebel you are! :D

Sandra