Saturday, July 18, 2015

Personalized Message Quilt for My Sis-in-Law

I have wanted to learn how to quilt forever. I did take a class once, but got too stressed out because I got too perfectionistic about it. Sadly, I actually took the class in hopes to find something to help me relax. I envy people who can quilt. I have a whole board on Pinterest dedicated to quilting....because some day I will learn how. In the mean time I'm going to blog about this project I got to be a part of.

First a bit of back story: my sister-in-law is a lovely woman who has touched the hearts of many people. She unfortunately, however has MS and it has affected her to the point where she needed 24 hour care. This was an incredibly hard transition for her and the rest of the family.

We wanted to do something to brighten up her room and let her know how loved she was. So a group of us came up with the idea of making her a quilt. We wrote personalized messages and a friend who does quilt (and I so want to be her when I grow up) did some crazy blocks and pieced it all together.

This is how it turned out. 


My sister-in-law loved it


This is Susan - she's the quilting maniac who put this all together in just a couple of days.


Below are some close-ups of the messages








As a thank you to Susan for doing the piecing, sewing, designing, binding and finding someone to do the quilting, I made her a this jar to put her quilt scraps in. And by 'making' I actually mean buying a jar at IKEA, and slapping some stickers on it. I added some colorful scraps, and a gift certificate to her favorite quilting store. I am so thankful for friends like her who give up her time and skills for someone she doesn't even know. She also donates a ton of quilts to Children's Hospital. That's the kind of gal she is. So below are pictures of the gift - I got the idea off of Pinterest (of course) and it's so much cuter thank what I threw together. Here's the LINK





No comments: